During 2018/19 we will aim, in our worship, to provide children with a better understanding and overview of the Bible by looking at this as God's Big Story. Why? Many children are familiar with individual stories from the Bible but, do they really understand where the stories fit within the 'big story' of our faith and God's salvation plan?
Over the course of the academic year we will use the Lion Storyteller Bible to learn about:
- Creation - The universe and human life are God's good creation. Humans are made in the image of God.
- Fall - how Humankind spoilt creation and broke the relationship with God - humans became in need of rescue
- People of God - in the Old Testament God tries to restore his relationship with people (choosing particular people to work with him). He spoke through the words of the prophets, but the people did not listen and were awaiting the Messiah.
- Incarnation - The arrival of the Messiah to rescue the people from the results of the fall and restore their relationship with God.
- Gospels - Jesus' good news for everyone. His life, ministry and teaching, showing people what it means to live in relationship with God who is their father and loves them.
- Salvation - The death and resurrection of Jesus is the ultimate rescue plan. God's people are saved because, through Jesus, sin is dealt with and forgiveness offered. People can now choose to follow the way back to God.
- Kingdom of God - God's kingdom is the world at God intended it to be. Christians look forward to the day when God's kingdom fully comes and earth and heaven are transformed. Until that time they strive to build the kingdom in their communities, empowered by the Holy Spirit and reflecting Jesus' example in the world.
Our worship materials link with the Blackburn Diocesan RE scheme of work and also Understanding Christianity materials (prepared by the Church of England Education Office).
Additionally we shall also learn about different 'people of faith' which highlights faith in action and demonstrates how Christian values are 'lived out'.
At Christ Church our worship pattern is as follows:
- Monday - God's Big Story
- Tuesday - Class Worship (this will focus on a different Christian Value each half term)
- Wednesday - God's Big Story
- Thursday - Clergy
- Friday - Celebration Praise (children will share what they have learnt about in Class Worship)
Here are some ideas, based on the Christian Value we are discussing in school this half term, of activities and things to discuss and reflect upon.
- Talk about the short introduction and think about and discuss the questions posed together
- Read together a version of a key Bible story
- Think about the 'Words of Wisdom' and reflect upon this
- Share the fascinating facts and marvel at them
- Try completing the Family Focus activity
- Complete the Home School Challenge (don't forget to send your efforts in to school)
- Talk about the inspirational character in the 'Hall of Fame' and reflect on how they have demonstrated the value in the way they have lived their lives